Kale is my favorite superfood! It has so many health benefits and it is low in calories. However, it has not always been my favorite. The first time I made kale I didn’t quite know what to do with it, and therefor I butchered the taste- it was awful. This terrible first attempt lead me to do some research because I was determined to figure out why everyone was raving about it. Finally I found some recipes that I liked and even came up with a few of my own! Here is one of my very own recipes that includes the amazing superfood (plus it is protein rich!)
Turkey Sausage, Kale and White Bean Stuffed Peppers:
– 4 bell peppers (you can use whatever color pepper you would like although the red, orange and yellow peppers have more vitamins and nutrients than the green bell peppers. I only had green peppers on hand tonight so that is what I used.)
– 1 lb. Jennie-O Ground Turkey Sausage (brown in pan)
– 1 bushel kale chopped (about 4- 6 cups)
– one can white beans- drained
-1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1) Pre heat over to 375 degrees
2) Slice the stem of the bell pepper off- creating and opening at the top. Remove center of pepper and seeds so that the inside of the pepper is hollow. Place on a baking tray and put empty peppers in over for 12 minutes.
3) Meanwhile brown the ground turkey sausage in a pan on the stove on medium heat.
4) Once the turkey sausage is brown add in the chopped kale one cup at a time. I say one cup at a time because it will have to cook down a bit before you can fit it all in the pan. Carefully mix the kale in with the turkey sausage and let cook for about 5 minutes.
5) After 5 minutes of cooking the kale and turkey add in the can of white beans and continue to cook for about 3 minutes.
6) At this point your timer for the peppers should have gone off and your should remove them from the oven. Spoon the turkey sausage, kale and white bean mixture into the peppers. Once you have “stuffed” all of the peppers place them back in the over for another 12 minutes.
7) Remove the stuffed peppers and sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top of each one. Put back in the oven for 4 minutes.
8) Remove from the oven once the cheese has melted and ENJOY!!! Nutritious and Delicious!