It’s been too long. Unfortunately, life got hectic and every time I thought about writing my next post- something else came up. Nevertheless, here I am and I am so excited to tell you all about my challenge for May!!
One of my fabulous friends asked me the famous question that most woman and men ask after they have had success on a diet:
“Ok, so I lost 9 pounds, now what do I do? I don’t want to gain it all back”
Here is the wonderful news for everyone wondering this same thing- you aren’t going to gain it back because the beautiful thing about this approach to losing weight is it is NOT a diet. It IS a lifestyle change.
Most woman and men out there can admit that at some point in their life they have tried a diet, had success, gone back to their normal routine and within a month gained all the weight back. That is because diets do not work. A healthy lifestyle works for maintaining a trim physique.
So, here is my challenge for you: Begin to maintain a healthy lifestyle in this month of May and continue on through summer.
Below I have listed a series of healthy breakfasts, snacks, lunches and dinners. All you have to do is pick one from each category to enjoy every day!
SO START MIXING AND MATCHING YOUR MEALS TO BE THE BEST, HEALTHIEST, FABULOUS VERSION OF YOU!!
When pairing your meals for the day try to only pick one meal with a starch per day. For example if you pick the Egg White Veggie Omelet Wrap for breakfast try not to pick the wrap option for lunch too.
1) Protein Pancakes with 1/2 cup blueberries and/or strawberries. Top with one tbsp. honey or have them plain
2) Egg White Veggie Omelet Wrap (3/4 cup egg whites, with a handful of spinach, 1/4 cup chopped peppers, in a brown rice or whole wheat wrap, add 1 tbsp. hot sauce or spicy mustard)
3) 1 cup Egg Whites with 1/4 cup chopped peppers and spinach with 1-2 slices of turkey bacon. Plus 1/2 grapefruit.
4) Greek yogurt and Fruit (1 cup yogurt- plain or vanilla greek with 1 cup mixed blueberries and chopped strawberries)
5) Protein Smoothie ( 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup strawberries and 1/2 cup blueberries or frozen fruit, 5 ice cubes if you’re not using frozen fruit, 1 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup water if it is too thick for you)
6) Protein Cookies- Have 2 of the 3 ingredient cookies from Tone it Up (use the link below)
7) Coffee Cake in a Mug- follow this low calorie, high protein recipe from toneitup.com. Use the link below
1) Salad with Protein- Big salad with unlimited veggies and 5-6 oz. of protein
2) Turkey or Tuna Wrap- Whole wheat or brown rice wrap with 1 tbsp. mustard, if you like it, with 4 slices turkey, or one can tuna packed in water, topped with lettuce, tomato slices and 2 slices avocado. One cup carrots
3) Turkey Taco Salad (see recipe from previous posts)
4) Yogurt Parfait- 1 cup plain greek yogurt, 1 tbsp. honey, 1 cup chopped strawberries or 1 cup blueberries with 1/4 cup almonds. Have a cup of veggies as well
1) Mexican Quinoa Bowl- http://toneitup.com/2013/03/mexican-quinoa-bowl/
2) Veggie Turkey Sausage Soup- 2 cups chicken broth, 2 cups water, 2 cups chopped peppers, 1 cup diced onion, 1/2 pound ground turkey sausage(Jenny-O turkey breakfast sausage works), two cans diced tomatoes with garlic and oregano, two sweet potatoes chopped in cubes. Put it all in the crockpot and cook it on low for 7-8 hours or high for 5-6 hours
3) Mustard Chicken with Kale: Toss thin sliced chicken breasts in 1/2 cup sweet and spicy mustard and 1/4 cup spicy mustard. Place in a non stick pan and cook at 400 for 23 minutes. While the chicken is cooking, finely chop 3 cups kale (or one smaller bushel) or put it in a food processor (remove the thick center stem first). In a bowl mix the kale with one tbsp. olive oil, pepper, juice of half a lemon, 1/4 cup dried cranberries, and 1/4 cup chopped almonds.
4) Salad with Unlimited Veggies and 5 oz. of your favorite protein
5) Spaghetti Squash with turkey meatballs- see recipe from previous blog post and serve with a small side salad
6) Bell Pepper Nachos http://www.closetcooking.com/2013/10/mini-pepper-nachos-with-corn-black.html?m=1
7) Chicken Fajitas- Thinly slice chicken breasts into strips and toss in 1/2 tbsp. olive oil and fajita seasoning (old elpaso makes a good one). Then slice up a green, red pepper and an onion. Place the chicken and veggies in a baking dish with 1/4 cup water. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Serve with a salad, salsa, and avocado.
8) Salmon or Chicken with Brussels Sprout Salad: Cook one chicken breast or one 6 oz. piece of salmon marinated with 1 tbsp. EVOO, salt, pepper and basil flakes with a squeeze of lemon (salmon- 400 for 15-20 minutes, Chicken- 375 for 25-30 minutes). Chop brussels sprouts and a red and yellow bell pepper. Toss brussels and peppers in 1 tbsp. EVOO, 1 tbsp. garlic, 3 tbsp. finely grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.
9) Quinoa Fried Rice- Cook a serving of quinoa according to your package directions. Chop up 1 1/2 cups broccoli, dice 1 cup carrots, 1/2 onion, and dice 1 red bell pepper. Heat 2 tbsp. sesame oil in a skillet. Scramble two eggs or 1/2 cup egg whites. Add in chopped and diced veggies and cook until they are tender or cooked to your liking. Then add in cooked quinoa, and 1/4 cup low sodium teriyaki with 2 tbsp. low sodium chicken broth. Mix it all together and then serve. ( makes 2 servings)
Snacks- pick 2 per day
Apple with 1 tbsp. PB
One cup veggies with 2 tbsp. light ranch
1/4 cup almonds
1/2 cup greek yogurt with stevia
Apple with stevia zero calorie sweetener and cinnamon
1 sugar free jello pudding cup
I hope you all find this helpful for maintaining a healthy lifestyle! Remember- we are human- we live in a world filled with get togethers, work dinners, vacations, and nights out with friends. YOU ARE ALLOWED TO ENJOY ALL OF THOSE THINGS! Just make smart, healthy choices in the process 🙂 It is ok to go out and enjoy a cheat meal or some drinks as long as the majority of your daily choices are beneficial to your health! You CAN do this!!